Those who play online matches in fighting games will often come across players who disconnect from matches when his/her loss is near; Killer Instinct‘s next update plans to curb this “bad manners” tactic, by putting rage-quitting players in “Jail”.
It’s been several long years, but Killer Instinct finally made a triumphant return last year as a launch title for the Xbox One. While it’s a common problem across all “Fighters”, the next update for Killer Instinct plans to punish players who “rage-quit” a match when they are on the verge of losing; if the number of times a player disconnects out of the total number of matches played reaches 15%, the player in question will be placed in “Jail Mode” for 24 hrs; while the player is in this mode, they will be unable to participate in Ranked Matches- Jail Mode players can only compete against each other; players within this new “penalty room” system will also have their profile icon temporarily change to a “Jail” emblem. The full notes on the penalty system are listed below, as found in the Double Helix forum:
– The first time your disconnect percentage goes above 15 percent you go to JAIL
– A 10 match minimum is required
– JAIL lasts for 24 hours. During this time you can only be matched against other JAIL members
– Each time you go to JAIL the amount of time increases by 24 hours (capped at 5 days – 120 hrs)
– While in JAIL your profile icon will be automatically changed to a custom JAIL icon to let you know you are in JAIL
– When your JAIL time is up, you go back into the public again (even if your disconnect percentage is back over 15%)
– However, when back in public, if you disconnect and you are still above 15 percentage you go directly back to JAIL
– For any match that sends you to JAIL, player will take a loss
The term “rage-quit” often refers to a player leaving a multiplayer match upon losing, leaving at the imminent danger of losing, leaving due to an in-game stat-deficit….Basically leaving or quitting a game or match after a frustration-inducing situation.
Spinal, the skeleton-pirate teased within the launch trailer, will be released within this update for owners of Killer Instinct: Ultra Edition or the “Combo Breaker Pack”.
Sources: Polygon, Double Helix Games
Image courtesy of Double Helix, Rare