The co-op zombie spin-off of MGSV will be present at TGS following its lengthy content hiatus.
Hideo Kojima and company have long-since parted ways with Konami, but the Japanese entertainment giant has vowed to continue expanding the Metal Gear franchise sans Kojima Productions; in the post-Kojima timeline, Konami has already produced multiple content packs for The Phantom Pain‘s multiplayer component Metal Gear Online, and produced a “pachislot” machine based on Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater, featuring cinematics completely remade in the Fox Engine.
It’s been absent for quite some time, but Konami is working on yet another installment for the Metal Gear franchise- Metal Gear Survive. Announced at Gamescom 2016, Metal Gear Survive is a theoretical tale of Militaires Sans Frontières soldiers who survive the fall of Mother Base in Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes; the survivors unwillingly “escape” XOF and and the destruction of Mother Base through wormholes above the offshore station. Now stranded in an alternate reality with no communication between the rest of MSF, the survivors must work together to obtain equipment and battle a new supernatural threat. Stealth is a primary element of the upcoming co-op survival game, however the core of Metal Gear Survive revolves around teamwork and third-person shooting with a tactical, strategic edge.
Despite being playable at E3 2017, Konami failed to present fans with new content nor updates on the future of Metal Gear Survive; Konami’s only new piece of information was a delayed release window, pushing Metal Gear Survive from 2017 into next year. The co-op zombie spin-off skipped PAX and Gamescom, but Konami recently confirmed that Metal Gear Survive will be present at Tokyo Game Show 2017, hopefully with new content. Joining Survive on the show floor this year are the likes of Pro Evolution Soccer 2018 for PS3 and PS4, Super Bomberman R on the Nintendo Switch, and the PS Vita version of VA-11 Hall-A. The full lineup is as follows, courtesy of Konami:
- 100% Pascal-Sensei: Kanpeki Paint Bombers (3DS) – Floor Demo
- Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakuu Championship 2017 (PS3, PS4, PS Vita) – Stage Presentation
- The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III (PS4) – Floor Demo, Stage Presentation, New Trailer
- LovePlus Every (iOS, Android) – Floor Demo, Stage Presentation
- Metal Gear Survive (PC, Xbox One, PS4) – Floor Demo, Stage Presentation
- PES 2017 (iOS, Android) – Stage Presentation, New Trailer
- PES 2018 (PS3, PS4) – Floor Demo, Stage Presentation, New Trailer
- Pro Yakyuu Spirits A (iOS, Android) – Stage Presentation, New Trailer
- Super Bomberman R (Nintendo Switch) – Floor Demo, Stage Presentation, New Trailer, Tournament
- VA-11 Hall-A (PS Vita) – Floor Demo, New Trailer
- Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Link (iOS, Android) – Stage Presentation
Metal Gear Survive is currently in development for PC, Xbox One and PS4.
Image courtesy of Konami